All Images on this blog require permission from Designer prior to use.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Magazine Ad Series: Sailor Jerry's


Sailor Jerry’s is a spiced rum that was invented from a navyman. All of the art work also comes from tattoos that he designed and now uses them as logos and for t-shirts designs. I chose this mainly because I thought this could be a fun little project and I like the spiced rum. Also, I had never seen an advertisement in a Magazine for it, so I figured why don’t I play around with that idea.
            Sailor seems to strive for a provocative and free image. So I knew I wanted to expand on that. Since it’s very free I didn’t want to be complicated at all. Just wanted to get the point across. While working on the thumbs and roughs I decided I wanted to use the word “Ahoy” as the catch phrase. Most alcohol drinks have an identifying catchy work or sentence that goes with it and I felt like “Ahoy” went perfect with Sailor Jerry’s.
            I used some of the tattoo artists and also a picture of a bottle. I really liked how both seemed so subtle but also left an impact on the viewer. I used the dimensions from ESPN the Magazines website. None of the designs were full bleed and I actually ran into having a tough time on which sizes the ad should be. I chose the final sizes for flexibility and also it fit Sailor Jerry’s more. I don’t see them as a full page type ad since it is a smaller feeling company. I also chose ESPN the Magazine because the labels and the Sailors appeals to men and 94% of ESPN the Magazines viewership is males. Their prices are very high though. If I were to actually run each one of these once (a 1/4 page horizontal black and white and a 1/4 square color) it would cost $151,857. That's an expensive job right there.

                                           Thumbnail Sketches
                                            Large MagAd Design
                                          Smaller MagAd Design

No comments:

Post a Comment